Florida Appellate Attorney Profile
Our law firm has been engaged in civil appellate practice and complex civil litigation before all federal and Florida state courts since 1998. This firm has been named since 2001 in the Martindale-Hubbell® Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers™.
Jennifer S. Carroll
Jennifer S. Carroll was in the first group of Florida lawyers to achieve Certification in Appellate Practice from the Florida Bar. She received this honor upon its inception in 1994. Ms. Carroll also holds an AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review RatingSM from Martindale-Hubbell®, a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank her at the highest level of professional excellence.
Prior to entering private practice, Ms. Carroll served as judicial law clerk to the Honorable Ralph W. Nimmons, Jr. of the First District Court of Appeal in Tallahassee, Florida. This experience, coupled with her experience in all aspects of litigation—from trial preparation, full bench and jury trials, and post-trial proceedings—enhances Ms. Carroll's perspective and abilities in appellate and complex civil litigation.
Years in Practice: 30+
- Florida, 1985, all state courts
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- United States District Courts, Southern and Middle Districts of Florida
- Board Certified - Appellate Practice, Florida Bar (1994)
Awards and Honors
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review RatingSM from Martindale-Hubbell®
- “Florida Super Lawyer,” Law and Politics, annually since 2006
- “Leading Florida Attorney,” Civil Appellate Law, 1997
- 1997 Pro Bono Appellate Law Award
- Legal Aid Society of Palm Beach County, Inc.
- Palm Beach County Bar Association
- "Top Lawyers in Florida" 2016 [Daily Business Review]
- Appellate Court Rules Committee—Florida Bar, 2002–2008
- Chair, Civil Rules Subcommittee, 2006–2007
- Appellate Practice Certification Exam Review Course—Florida Bar
- Chairperson, Review Course Committee, 1999 and 2000
- Lecturer, Florida Civil Appellate Practice, 1998
- Appellate Practice and Advocacy Section—Florida Bar
- Member, Executive Council, 1998–2004
- Continuing Legal Education Committee, 1998–2003
- "An Appellate Attorney's Top Ten Land Mines in Civil Litigation," Florida Bar Journal, July/August 2012
- "Medical Malpractice Arbitration and the Right to Set Off: A Proposed Resolution," Trial Advocate Quarterly, Winter 2000
- "Appellate Specialization and the Art of Appellate Advocacy," Florida Bar Journal, June 2000
- Stetson University, Bachelor of Arts Degree, 1982
- Political Science Major
- Cum laude graduate; Dean's list; State Champion; National Forensics League
- Significant employment during college: Local Government Liaison - Volusia County Manager's Office - Deland, Florida. Liaison between County Manager's Office and various commissions of the Volusia County Council. Participated in commission meetings and authored monthly publications on county government operations.
- Mercer University - Walter F. George School of Law, Juris Doctorate, 1985
- Honors: Order of the Barristers; Captain, National and State Moot Court Competition Teams; Moot Court Board; Teaching Assistant, Brief Writing and Oral Argument.
- Significant employment during law school: United States Department of Justice - United States Attorney's Office - Middle District of Georgia. Assisted in preparation for civil and criminal trial and appellate litigation in the federal district court and Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Senior Judicial Law Clerk - Honorable Ralph W. Nimmons, Jr. - First District Court of Appeal - Tallahassee, Florida.
- Prepared case analyses, made recommendations and drafted opinions for judges concerning civil, administrative, commercial, and criminal appeals.
- Appellate/Litigation Attorney - Metzger, Sonneborn & Rutter, P.A. - West Palm Beach, Florida. (1991-1998)
- Appellate and trial practice before all state and federal courts. Emphasis on health care, medical malpractice, class action, antitrust, and complex civil litigation.